Many Brazilians think American food is crap, but I find it no more unhealthy than the food here. It's true, many Americans are fat and eat mostly burgers & fries. But these people are mostly in the midwest. On the coasts, there is such a wonderful variety of different types of food, and many people prefer the healthier options - especially on the West coast. In Brazil, a quarter of the food is fried (like strips of polenta, which I admit is much more tasty than regular polenta).
And then there's the artificial factor. There's some stuff that's just not as natural. Take Zero-Cal, which lies on every table at the hotel restaurant during breakfast. I know enough Portuguese now that I was able to generally translate the label. It's a sugar substitute in clear liquid form. It looked to be quite the cancer-causing agent in all its nutra-sweet glory. And it's common. I suppose for someone diabetic it's a viable option, but when I think of everyone replacing natural sugar, salt, toppings or sauces with Zero-Cal, I start to lose my appetite.
However, I doubt that many Americans would jump for yogurt that was oat or wheat flavored. I'd like to see an ad agency try to make that one sounds delicious. Aveia is a grain that's very common as a yogurt flavor here. And it's good.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment