The people around the baggage carousel from my flight begin to thin out. I practice a Zen-like patience for as long as I can. When the carousel finally stops and my black duffel bag is nowhere in sight, I panic. Angelo, the kind man who practiced Portuguese with me on the plane from Chicago, helps me speak to United baggage claim. It's a good thing, because if I were to talk the words would not have been very nice. It's a simple procedure - San Francisco to Chiacgo to São Paulo. Or so you'd think.
Now, lost baggage would not have been a major problem, had one of the following not happen:
1. I was in such a rush the night before that I didn't print out the hotel address. In the morning I realize it's ok because the driver will meet me at the airport.
2. I did not find the driver who was meeting me. You see, there was a very important email that wasn't sent until after my flight. This email depicted the sign the driver would hold - not my name, not the company I work for. Simply the name of the car service company.
So Angelo goes online, finds the hotel that seems to be called "The Address" in São Paulo, and we write that down as the contact info for my lost baggage claim. I agree with the employee that I will call tomorrow and give them all the correct info, including my local phone number.
An hour later I still can't find the driver. Angelo, which coincidentally means "angel," assists me in finding an internet cafe in the airport where I can check email. There I get the phone number for my driver and the sign I was supposed to find. We call from Angelo's phone and finally meet the driver, Roberto.
Things are looking up. That is, until United doesn't wait for my call. Instead, they say they delivered the bag...and I realize the address we provided is not for my hotel.
Roberto and I drive the streets of São Paulo with hope and desperation (more desperation than hope), looking for the other address. It turns out to be another hotel (thank God, at least it's not a random house), but they don't have it.
My first day of work starts tomorrow. It's a good thing I work at a casual company, because the only footwear I have are my tennis shoes. Oh, and all my socks, underwear and toiletries are in the other bag, too.
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment