The other day I tasted such scrumptious, moist banana cake at the hotel that I was determined to get the recipe. I asked trusty Luciano at reception if they were willing to divulge their culinary secrets. Apparently they are. He promised to bring it to my room, and sure enough, there was an envelope on the round glass dining table when I returned home.
Inside the envelope I found a typed recipe with a handwritten message. It said he's sure with my Portuguese skills I could read everything, but if I have any doubts (people in Portuguese confuse the word 'doubts' with 'questions') he would be happy to help. The speed and personal touch demonstrated excellent customer service. But Luciano went above and beyond, adding an extra element that was unexpected. He snuck in a pin with the hotel logo. Actually it looks more like a family shield. Now, I don't normally wear pins, in fact the last time I wore one I was about...well, actually I don't think I've ever worn one. I didn't even know pins were still in production. Will I wear one advertising a particular hotel? That's besides the point. It's a free gift - how fabulous! I shall treasure it always.
It's this kind of customer service that keep people coming back and referring your business to others. Bravo!
As I strolled along the street to check out the shops, I went inside a cheap jeans store. There I stumbled upon another item I didn't know was still being manufactured: jean vests. I thought about whether this could be the current style, whether I'd seen anyone wearing a jean vest since I'd arrived. To my comfort, the answer was no.
The women's style right now is 80s revival, complete with black stretch pants and screaming bright pink tops. Also, an alarming number of shirts in all stores have English phrases written on them. It's not hard to find the teen-targeted tees that say thing like "You're the one I've been waiting for" or "Stop looking at my breasts." Some are idiotic, some slutty, and some are clearly sold only to people who can't read English.
In this same jeans store, a young saleswoman had a different customer service approach than Luciano. Her method was to make fun of and slightly insult the customer. She asked what size I am, and said something I couldn't understand while patting her butt and laughing. It all became clear when she brought back two pairs of jeans, both sporting a giant tag that read 'Maxi Buum.' I didn't even ask if buum with two u's is even bigger than regular bum. I like the hotel pin better.
Saturday, August 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment