Friday, August 3, 2007

Kissing Behavior

The men are much more aggressive when you go out in Brazil. They'll grab your arm or your waist just to get your attention. If you're really lucky, you'll get a winner like I did who grabs your arm tighter if you try to pull away towards the bathroom. Really makes you want to go out with the guy. You can also expect the guy to come on strong and quick for a kiss. A conversation may go like this:
"Can I kiss you?"
"No thanks."
"Why not?"
"Because I just met you."
"That was an hour ago."
"Exactly."
"C'mon...You should experience a Brazilian kiss."
"One day maybe I will."
"Why not with me now?"
"Well, I don't remember your name..."

Don't they realize they're decreasing their chances even more as they speak?

The good news is that it's not hard to start conversations, and there's plenty of opportunities for an ego boost when you need it.

On the other hand, there's the other kind of kiss which you do all the time - the beside-the-cheek kiss when you say hello or goodbye. This practice is by no means limited to Brazil, but America was out of the loop on that one, and it's a shame. It's such a warm and friendly way to greet people. Basically what you're doing is matching your actions to your words. you're not saying "good seeing you," you're showing it.

The number of kisses depends on the region. For example, São Paulo natives give one kiss, Rio natives give two.

No comments: