Monday, October 1, 2007

Go-Kart!


On Wednesday Sept. 5, the local office spent the day at Kartódromo Aldeia da Serra, a go-kart racing track, for our quarterly offsite event. Originally I wasn't going to race, because the last time I did this activity, it was indoors, and I got a huge headache from the gas exhaust. But this place looked totally different - it was a huge outdoor track among thick tree-covered dark green hills. Any exhaust would float up and away. So I asked if I could be a late-comer, and lucky for me, Lidiane didn't want to race. So I took her spot, attached her pre-printed name to the back of my rental jumpsuit, and prepared for action.

Before you get on the track there's a mandatory briefing. This seemed to be where they go over important stuff, like where to go and how to not die. But I couldn't understand anything that was said. The only thing I got was the question at the end when the speaker prompted, "Everyone understand?" To this I yelled "no!" but I guess I was drowned out by all the yeses because she didn't pay any attention. Oh well. I could figure it out, right? I'm a college graduate and haven't gotten into any major car accidents. I've backed up into a couple things, but that's different. That dumpster really came out of nowhere.

These were the flags and their meanings:
Of course, I just saw colors. I could assume that going fast was good, and someone would eventually stop me when I was done.

Turns out I didn't need any tips from the briefing after all. I was doing just fine starting at the get-go of the ladies heat. For a while Valeria and I were neck and neck, so I had some stiff competition.
We were lapping everyone...

Then I broke away. Cassali was hot on my tail, but I was in the lead. And I won! Actually I did one lap too many, because I thought the checkered flag might mean one lap left, when in fact it signified the end. I finished the course in 18 min and 43 seconds. Cassali came in next 7 seconds later. And my ex-boyfriend thinks I'm a bad driver. Ha! (The reality is I think you need to be a little reckless to win a road race).

It was a lovely win for the Americans. But I wasn't smiling much; my theory about the exhaust not being a problem was proven terribly wrong. I felt sick for hours afterwards. Maybe I ate too much right beforehand.

But I did walk away with my dignity and a crystal clear trophy. Since it was decided not to have a final race between the top finishers in each heat, the trophies weren't accurate, and I was handed one that says third place. Somehow I don't think people will believe me if I write over it in permanent pen.

That's me on the top row in the ninja hat we had to wear under our helmets. Unfortunately, from far away it just looks like a thick black beard.


Excuse me Julia & Talita? What are you doing in my spot?


Anna must be pissed that I won. Better luck next time.


At least Roberta seems to be happy about the results!


This was a rough offsite - proven by some who suffered bruises, cuts, slammed vertebrae and broken wrists that required surgery. I made it out alive with just a queasy stomach and severe headache...and the trophy of course. Did I mention that I won?

No comments: